Tuesday, January 09, 2007

random thoughts

It's snowing here, snow like granulated sugar that packs easily into balls and crunches when you walk on it. It doesn't quite stick, melting and accumulating, advancing and receding, a hesitant tide that nonetheless leaves a film, as milk will coat a glass long after it's been drunk.

(January is such a flurry of to-do's. Collecting W-2's and making appointments with the accountant and organizing for the year ahead.)

There's something about watching a gentle snowfall that makes a person feel safe. I don't know what that is.

Last weekend the bank teller at the drive-thru handed us yellow lollipops after I'd cashed my check. As the boys bit into them the smell of Pine-Sol unexpectedly flooded the inside of the car. Yellow lollipops smell like Pine-Sol. I hadn't noticed before. What memory is stored in our DNA to associate lemon with clean, I wonder.

Once you're grown, you can no longer blame your irritability on teething. Pity.

The snow is starting to fall in thicker clumps. The empty glass is refilling after all. But then, it always does. I can't think why I doubt it.