Sunday, August 13, 2006

gallery work

I'm staying in today. Last week's schedule took its toll: this morning I woke up at nine a.m. feeling too exhausted to even speak. I'm going to be lying low for a few days maybe.

After a while I got up and started working on this painting, because I'm getting some works ready to go into a new gallery this week. I took a photograph, but in no way does it show just how much texture I built up into the paint.






When I paint, I put music on the stereo and dance around while I'm working. I usually work barefoot, with my hair pulled up in a loose bun. The more I work the more relaxed I get.

Sometimes I even put the brushes in a cup of soapy water and paint with my fingers here and there.

A close-up:






I was supposed to have three paintings to proffer at the gallery and at this point I only have two. It may end up being only two. I'm finding it difficult to balance work and family right now, and family always trumps for me. So what I'm telling everyone is that I'll catch up on my work once the kids get back in school at the end of the month. Anything I get done between here and then will be catch-as-catch-can.

It will take a while for all that impasto to dry, so now I let it sit and go back to lying on the couch and watching Small Soldiers with the kids.