Sunday, November 12, 2006

random update or: what you've been missing while I've been away

I got carded when I tried to buy The Passion of the Christ last week. I'd never seen the movie, I couldn't find it to rent, and I felt it would tie in with my reading right now. So I took it to the counter to pay for it and the clerk said she had to ask me if I was over the age of 18. I just stared at her, because -- come on. It's The Passion of the Christ. It's not like I was buying Mad Dog and a pack of smokes.

************
Roundabout Thursday I woke up with the worst kind of pain in my left lower side. The kind of pain that makes you wonder if your appendix is falling out, if in fact appendixes are located just above your left leg, which they're not. And what that means is: I'm having a flare-up of The Unmentionable Colitis again.

Unmentionable because colitis is synonmous with various unpleasantries of the intestinal tract. Not to be discussed in polite society. Put it this way: when they play the Beatles' "Lucy In the Sky With Diamonds" and people are singing along: "A girl with colitis walks by," I'm the one most definitely not laughing.

I do have ulcerations, and they do bleed from time to time.
This would be one of those times.

I grimaced and winced when the doctor examined me Friday. Yes, my abdomen is tender to the touch. Yes, I have a fever. No, I'm not bleeding now. The bleeding stopped when I started taking my dicyclomine again. Which is good; that's what it's there for.

"I think the dicyclomine saved you this time," my doctor said. "But you're having a flare-up. You have the weekend to get through. If you start bleeding again, you'll be coming back to the ER right away. Right?"

Right.

So I've been eating baby food, and taking my medicine, and waiting for the tenderness to go away.

It's also why I've been quiet.

p.s. On an even lighter note, I got the flu shot Friday afternoon even though I was running a fever. Now I feel like I have a mild case of the flu. It just keeps getting better and better ;)